What a week! I caught a sickness bug on Tuesday so haven;t been feeling too good and I think my stitching caught it too as I've had a few disasters with the pieces I have been working on in the last few days. The little checkered purple piece I showed a glimpse of in my last post I nearly ruined. I had so enjoyed stitching this and was keen to get it complete but once again my finishing skills or lack of them I should say reared its ugly head. I was making it into a small pillow, turned it out the right way to stuff and close the gap when I noticed that I had cut the fabric to near, there was a little hole at the side and the fabric was all frayed so there was nothing I could do to rescue it. I was so mad at myself I could have cried. I left it overnight and the next morning I unpicked it. Thankfully it looks as though I might just have enough fabric around the design to do something with it, so fingers crossed I can still make it presentable enough to hand over.
Now you would think that was enough stitching trauma for one week but yesterday it started all over again. First of all I was delighted to discover that the baby design I thought I would have to rush to stitch was sitting there all pretty in my box of finishes. I had stitched the girl version a few years ago when I bought the chart and had of course forgotten all about it. All I needed to do was add the name and date. Now to most stitchers this would be a two minute job. First attempt I had to many spaces between my letters, secondly it just wasn;t centered right then when I did have it the way I wanted I felt there was too much space around the name and date. I raided my button box , stuck on some stars and it seems to look okay. Next my favourite part , how do I finish this off. I checked my stash and I had everything I needed to make it into a cube. I pinned on my backing fabric, no problem, then of course when I went to add the stitching piece, could I get it straight and even , no, on and off, off and on. By this time I was ready for the head in the oven. Just in case you haven;t realised I;m not a patient person..lol. Finally I was ready to add the strip around the cube but of course the piece of baby fabric wasn't long enough and I had to make two. I am not very happy as my cube now has two joins , so in my head it just doesn;t look right. Hubbys says its fine but what does he know..lol. I can;t remember whose blog it is but yesterday I signed up to a pass it forward and if I get chosen I need to pass to someone else. I;m now thinking this wasn;t such a great idea for me I think it might be better if I just publish a book How not to finish your needlework...lol!