Saturday 24 April 2010

My Saturday with picture overload!


We decided at the last minute today to have a day out.  This was our first stop off at Dunure Castle just outside Ayr.  I am lucky enough to only live just over an hour from here.

       

We then drove on to visit Culzean Castle. Right next to the car park was a Deer park. This little sweetie was very friendly and stood right by the fence letting everyone and anyone pet it.


There were very few flowers blooming in the walled garden but the colours on the ones you could see were just beautiful.


In another part of the walled garden there was a large range of palm plants and this little hut.




The gardens and grounds are so extensive that we got lost at one point and accidently came across this wild garden area containing these sculptures. I just loved the tree with the bird , squirrel and butterfly.









These last pictures are of the beautiful castle and its grounds.  We didn;t have time today to go inside but will go back sometime over the summer to do this.  But I do know that there is a flat on the top floor that in 1945 General D Eisenhower was invited to accept a lifetime tenancy as a gesture of Scottish thanks for Americas support during World War II.



Before going home we decided to travel further up the coast where we sat at the harbour and had something to eat and then we sat at the seashore where I did a little stitching on Stitch Witch and Ian went off with his tripod to take more of his photographs.  So, if anyone out there was looking for me yesterday you now know where I was..lol. 
I will try and come back later today with an update on my stitching piece.  I'm hoping to get at least a few hours stitching in the afternoon.  Hugs!

21 comments:

Catherine said...

Beautiful place!! You're very lucky to live so close!

corinna said...

i enjoyed my trip with your photos
palm trees in a scottish garden
i would have never thought that
looks like a fun trip
stitching time too----most excellent day

Anonymous said...

So jealous that you live in such a beautiful place! What a lovely day. :)

Erna said...

Lovely pictures Lainey,I envie you.But.....next time you go and visit the palace,perhaps I can join you.I'm gonna book our holiday next week.
Big Hug
Er

Cheryl said...

Great pictures! I am ashamed to say i have never visited either despite them not being too far from me either

Jane said...

Really enjoyable post, love the photos especially the tree carving xxx

Siobhán said...

What beautiful pictures!! Thanks for taking us along on your day trip. :)

Tanyastitches said...

I love picture heavy posts :-) and those wood carvings are fantastic and so close to the sea aswell.

Bette said...

What gorgeous pictures! I would love to live somewhere like that.

Brigitte said...

Those pictures are fantastic. You must have enjoyed a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing.

Melanie said...

Beautiful pictures!! What a wonderful place!

Mylene said...

What great views! Thanks so much for sharing, Elaine.

http://ingridsknitting.blogspot.be/ said...

Ooooh WOW !!! I love your pictures !! What a beautiful place !Thanks for sharing.
Hugs Ingrid

Annette said...

What a lovely pictures, it looks like you had a great day....

Annie said...

How lovely. What a fabulous day and such great photos to remember it by.!

Tracey said...

Gorgeous pictures! Thank you for the wonderful glimpse of your country. :)

Carol said...

It must be so wonderful to live in a country with such a long and interesting history! I loved seeing your photos and truly hope to see a genuine castle in person some day :)

too_busy_to_stitch said...

Lovely photos - I love being by the sea!

Meari said...

Awesome photos!! It's almost like going on a trip for me :)

Carin said...

What a beautiful pictures ! Thank you for sharing

shutterbug (Elaine) said...

So pretty!! Looks like another place I need to add to my 'Must See Someday' list. :) Hopefully when you go inside they will let you take pics so we can all get a glimpse.